What is phishing?
Your password was successfully reset
(JK, it’s an infographic about phishing)
If you have an email address or cellphone number, chances are you’ve received a phishing message. And you’re not alone: phishing is the third most common scam affecting Canadians today.
Phishing is a cyber criminal’s attempt to get sensitive information by pretending to be a legitimate sender like
- GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS
- STREAMING SERVICES
- ONLINE STORES
- PHONE PROVIDERS
- PEOPLE YOU KNOW
PHISHING IS VERY COMMON
1 IN 99 EMAILS ARE A PHISHING EMAIL
1 in 25 BRANDED EMAILS ARE PHISHING
AND VERY EASY TO FALL FOR
1 IN 10 CANADIANS SAY THEY’VE REPLIED TO PHISHING MESSAGES UNKNOWINGLY
Phishing comes in all shapes and sizes
- SMISHING - SMS OR TEXT MESSAGING
- SPEAR-PHISHING - PERSONALIZED, TARGETED MESSAGES
- WHALING - MESSAGES TARGETED AT EXECUTIVES
- SPOOFING - FORGED WEBSITES OR PHONE NUMBERS
6.4 BILLION PHISHING EMAILS ARE SENT EACH DAY
DON’T TAKE THE BAIT
- READ AND RE-READ - Double-check the message and sender for anything strange.
- DON’T CLICK SUSPICIOUS LINKS - Don’t’ download unknown files either.
- NEVER SHARE YOUR PASSWORD - Never, ever, but especially over email or text.
It doesn’t hurt to be cautious. If you’re suspicious of a message, call the person or organization using their trusted number to double-check if the message is legit.
GET MORE TIPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR DEVICES AT GETCYBERSAFE.CA
- Date modified: