Online Gaming and Entertainment
The risks of online entertainment, games and contests
The fun of online entertainment, games and contests can be dampened by the risks involved with these sites. But if you know the risks, you can play games online safely.
What are the risks?
- Inadvertently downloading viruses, Trojan horses, worms, and spyware contained in game downloads onto your computer.
- Dealing with fraudulent entertainment sites that require a credit card number to continue watching or playing. They may also pause the game mid-action and ask you to call a long distance number (and not hang up) in order to continue playing.
- Interacting with strangers who trick you into giving up personal information.
- Exploitation of security settings on your computer, giving criminals access to your information. This could lead to identity theft.
- Dealing with real-world and online predators who lure you into giving them information about yourself. This could include inappropriate contact with children by predators posing as a child.
- Participating in a real-world marketplace in on online game (where you can buy high-level characters, for instance) could involve real-life criminals who are looking to steal your money. Only make credit card payments on sites you trust and don't send money transfers, cash or make payments outside of the site.
- Date modified: