Ensure you're secure: A checklist of Internet of Things security tips
November 27, 2017
Once you've researched the Internet of Things (IoT),and have a strategy in place to implement the IoT in your business, you should ensure your business is secure with this checklist of security tips and requirements. There's also a list of tips for your employees to make sure they're using the best cyber security practices and following the policies you've put in place.
For Management and IT
- Research devices before you purchase. Read reviews and get recommendations; research their security capabilities.
- Have a point of contact with the manufacturers for any issues down the road.
- Read device materials: operator's manuals, instructions, support forums.
- Create a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and IoT policies for employees.
- Assess against your existing IT security policies and standards.
- Secure your wireless network.
- Change device default usernames and passwords, and use strong passwords.
- Keep networks with sensitive information isolated. Consider using separate networks for IoT devices.
- Ensure the device has system reset capability in order to permanently eliminate sensitive configuration information.
- Control who can access your network and from where.
- Encrypt data, commands and communications, both at rest and in transit.
- Where possible, set operating system, software, and firmware to update automatically. Establish periodic manual updates as required.
- Implement a repeatable process to validate all safeguard and countermeasures in your implementation.
- Conduct 'cyber incident' tests and audits regularly to ensure the integrity of your network.
- Backup data regularly using secure and redundant storage solutions, such as multiple storage units and/or the cloud. Test your recovery process regularly.
Adhere to your company's Bring Your Own Device/IoT policy
- Understand what information is being collected by devices and why, before you download or buy.
- Use a lock screen password, use strong passwords.
- Backup data regularly on multiple storage units and the cloud.
- Connect only to secure Wi-Fi networks.
- Use safe websites, cloud storage, etc.
For further information on these security tips, check out our Get Cyber Safe Guide for Small and Medium Businesses. Consider consulting a cyber security organization/professional for more help implementing these security measures.
For a more #CyberSafeBusiness, download our #IoTatWork Toolkit (PDF 608 KB).
There are no comments at this time
- Date modified: