#DefendYourDevice to protect it from malware
April 3, 2017
Be on your guard! Malware is out there and can cause serious damage to your device. Fortunately, you don't need armour and a shield to #DefendYourDevice. Learn about the dangers of malware and how to protect yourself online.
What is malware?
Malware is malicious software that secretly infiltrates your device. It damages your device or steals personal information and money, sometimes without you even knowing. Malware can attack in various forms such as viruses, worms, spyware and Trojan horses.
Where does malware come from?
Malware can come from various online channels including emails, instant messages, and website pop-ups. Even game demos, music files, and software downloads can be malware-infected. Bluetooth or open Wi-Fi networks are other possible routes of infiltration.
How does malware affect me and my device?
Malware can do serious damage to your device and privacy by:
- Stealing personal information and putting your identity and financial information at risk.
- Taking control of your email and sending messages on your behalf.
- Reformatting your hard drive, causing you to lose all your data.
- Sending scareware pop-up messages that falsely claim your computer has a security issue.
How do I know if I've been infected by malware?
If your device is running slowly and crashing frequently, it may be infected with malware. If you are unable to open some applications or are receiving pop-up ads and spam, your device is most likely infected.
Be smart! #DefendYourDevice from malware
- Don't open or reply to emails or text messages from unknown sources.
- Download only from reputable and trusted sources.
- Be #Wise-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth when not in use.
- Don't share your mobile phone number on public websites and social networks.
- Considering jailbreaking your device? Think again! By removing the manufacturer software limitations on your smartphone, you make it vulnerable to malware.
For many of us, our devices act as our phone books, photo albums, banks, calendars, archives, games, and social portals. #DefendYourDevice to protect what's important to you!
There are no comments at this time
- Date modified: