5 things to look for before buying a gift online
December 5, 2017
Shopping online is a great way to find the perfect gift for everyone on your list! But there are a few things you should look for, before you make that purchase, to help keep your devices and your finances secure:
- Only make online purchases from companies and sites you trust. Check for the “https://” in the URL to make sure the site is secure. Some warning signs that a site could be untrustworthy include:
- The site looks poorly designed, unprofessional, and/or contains broken links.
- You can't find any business contact info such as the phone number, email, or address.
- Sales, return, and privacy policies are hard to find (or unclear).
- The back button is disabled, trapping you on the page.
- Before shopping on a new site, read customer reviews to see if other people have had good experiences. If the reviews are mostly poor, consider shopping elsewhere.
- Be wary of free trials or deals that seem too good to be true. They could be scams trying to steal your credit card info or sell counterfeit goods.
- Don't auto-remember or auto-fill your credit card or personal information. If the site asks for your credit card information anytime other than the purchase, the site may not be secure!
- Always review the shipping and returns policies so you won't be caught off guard by any surprise fees. Check what's required for returns, in case your purchases don't go as planned.
Don't let a cyber incident spoil your holidays!
Follow @GetCyberSafe for more safe shopping tips from Mo, your #HolidayHelper.
There are no comments at this time
- Date modified: