Terms and conditions
Table of contents
This website provides information to help inform users on the types of risks that can exist online, and steps that can be taken to make personal internet and technology use safer. Information on this website is believed to be accurate, but is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Public Safety Canada is not responsible for any loss of data or damage to a computer system, software, hardware or other equipment resulting from the use of the information on this website.
Cyber security is a constantly-evolving topic; technology, and the risks associated with their use, can change rapidly. The advice contained in this website will therefore not always reflect the most recent advancements in software, hardware, and general online environments. Users are encouraged to follow official security advice from manufacturers and developers.
- This site does not automatically gather any specific personal information from you, such as your name, phone number or e-mail address. We only obtain this type of information if you supply it by sending us an e-mail or registering to receive our newsletter.
- All personal information created, held or collected by this department is protected under the federal Privacy Act. This means that at any point of collection you will be asked for consent to collect your information or advised of the authority for such collection. You will be informed of the purpose for which it is being collected and how to exercise your right of access to that information.
- This website sometimes deposits cookies on visitor's computers. If you have your cookies notification option activated on your browser, the system will notify you before any cookies are used so that you may refuse them. (A "cookie" is a file that may be placed on your hard drive without your knowledge by a website to allow it to monitor your use of the site.)
- Visitor information is not disclosed to anyone except Public Safety Canada personnel who need the information to carry out responsibilities of their job. Any further disclosure of the personal information you give us will be in accordance with the federal Privacy Act.
Information we collect during your visit to our site
- The name of your Internet service provider, its IP address, and the name of your service provider's server. Public Safety Canada makes no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our site.
- The length of each visit
- The number of requests per visit
- Your type of operating system (Windows, Macintosh, Unix, etc.)
- Your browser type (Netscape, Internet Explorer, etc.)
We do not link this information with any of the information you voluntarily provide when you visit our site without explicit notification to the contrary.
Questions or comments regarding this policy or the administration of the Privacy Act on this site may be directed to:
Access to Information and Privacy
Executive Services Division
Public Safety Canada
340 Laurier Avenue, 11th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1A 0P8
If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.
Public Safety Canada respects the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring all information and services on this site are available in both English and French. However, users should be aware that some information from external sources that are not subject to the Official Languages Act is only provided as a convenience and is available only in the language in which it was provided.
Links to websites not under the control of the Public Safety Canada are provided solely for the convenience of users. Public Safety Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. Public Safety Canada does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their content.
Please note that non-government and foreign government websites are not subject to Canada's Official Languages Act. When a link is provided from the Public Safety Canada website, the information may be available in either English or French only.
Materials on this website were produced and/or compiled by the Government of Canada for the purpose of providing Canadians with direct access to information about its programs and services.
The material on this site is covered by the provisions of the Copyright Act, by Canadian laws, policies, regulations and international agreements. Such provisions serve to identify the information source and, in specific instances, to prohibit reproduction of materials without written permission.
Information on this site has been posted with the intent that it be readily available for personal and public non-commercial use and may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from the Government of Canada. We ask only that:
- Users exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- The Government of Canada be identified as the source; and,
- The reproduction is not represented as an official version of the materials reproduced, nor as having been made, in affiliation with or with the endorsement of the Government of Canada.
Reproduction of multiple copies of materials on this site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Government of Canada's copyright administrator, Public Works and Government Services Canada. Through the permission-granting process, Public Works and Government Services Canada helps to ensure that individuals/organizations wishing to reproduce Government of Canada materials for commercial purposes have access to the most accurate, up-to-date versions. To obtain permission to reproduce materials on this site for commercial purposes, please go to Public Works and Government Services Canada's Applying for Copyright Clearance on Government of Canada Works page or contact:
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Publishing and Depository Services
350 Albert Street, 5th Floor
Some of the materials and graphical elements found on Government of Canada websites are subject to copyrights held by other organizations. This is particularly true of sites that are jointly operated by a Government of Canada institution and an external organization as part of a collaborative arrangement. In such cases, some restrictions on the reproduction of materials or graphical elements may apply and it may be necessary to seek permission from the rights holder prior to reproducing the material.
To obtain information concerning copyright ownership and restrictions on reproduction on this site, please contact Public Safety Canada Communications by email at email@example.com or by calling 1-800-830-3118.
- Date modified